Most of the participants (86.8%) self-identified as being from the Luo ethnic group and the median number of completed years of school was 8 (IQR 7–11 years). One hundred and eighty-nine (35.1%) of the 539 women had a positive pregnancy test at some point during participation
in the study. There was no significant difference in the pregnancy rate among HIV-1-infected women (32.5%) and HIV-1-uninfected women (39.3%) (P=0.11). At enrolment the median CD4 count of HIV-1-infected partners was 443 cells/μL (IQR 337–617 cells/μL), and the median HIV-1 viral load at enrolment was 18 225 HIV-1 RNA copies/mL (IQR 4210–72 682 copies/mL). Forty-one seroconversions MI-503 clinical trial occurred during 888 person-years of follow-up, for an incidence of 4.6/100 person-years. Twenty seroconversions occurred among 186 HIV-uninfected individuals in partnerships in which pregnancy occurred (10.8% of HIV-1-negative partners in this group seroconverted), in comparison to 21 seroconversions among 353 uninfected individuals in partnerships in which pregnancy did not occur (5.9% of HIV-1-negative partners seroconverted), click here resulting in a relative risk of 1.8 [95% confidence interval (CI) 1.01–3.26; P<0.05]. Women who conceived and their male partners were younger, had been together for a shorter time, and had fewer children together than women and their male partners who did not conceive (Table 1). Of note, of the 20 seroconversions that occurred among partners in relationships
in which pregnancy occurred, 12 occurred in women and eight in men. There was no significant difference between the CD4 cell counts (or HIV-1
viral loads) of HIV-infected individuals in the two groups (Table 1). Of the 20 seroconversions Interleukin-3 receptor that occurred in couples who became pregnant, 65% occurred within 6 months prior to conception and during the first 6 months of pregnancy and the remaining 35% occurred more than 6 months from conception (Fig. 1). In Figure 1, the women who seroconverted are denoted W1–W12 and the men M1–M8. In this cohort of HIV-1-discordant couples in Kisumu, Kenya, 35% of female participants became pregnant at some point during enrolment in the clinical trial despite a verbal agreement to delay pregnancy for the duration of the study and despite access to hormonal contraceptives and condoms free of charge. The women who conceived and their male partners were younger, had fewer children, and had been together for a shorter time than couples who did not conceive. While these data cannot distinguish between desired and undesired pregnancies, the demographic characteristics of couples who conceived during this study have been found in other studies of HIV-infected individuals in sub-Saharan Africa to correlate with desire for pregnancy at some point in the future [2,20]. HIV-uninfected individuals in this cohort who were in partnerships in which conception occurred had a 1.8-fold increased risk of HIV acquisition compared with couples who did not conceive.